Hello and welcome to Sportstar’s Live coverage of the Men’s Freestyle Wrestling semifinal as Ravi Kumar Dahiya and Deepak Punia aim to secure a place in the final.
- Ravi Kumar wins and moves into the final and confirms at least a silver medal for India.
- Ravi counter attacks and almost throws his opponent out of the match and scores three points but trails 5-9.
- Nurislam takes a 9-2 lead and how quickly the bout transformed in just no time!
- Ravi gets into the defensive after being attacked and both wrestlers are yet to gain a point.
- The two wrestlers lock horns and the bout begins
- Right then Ravi Kumar is all set to take on Nurislam Sanayev in the men’s freestyle 57kg and it all boild down to how the Indian fares in this bout.
Indian wrestler Ravi Kumar beat Bulgaria’s Georgi Vangelov 14-4 on technical superiority to reach the semifinals in the men’s 57kg at the Tokyo Olympics on Wednesday.
Ravi’s compatriot Deepak Punia beat China’s Zushen Lin 6-3 on points to advance to the last four. Ravi will face Nurislam Sanayev of Kazakhstan in the semis while Deepak will square off against David Morris Taylor of the USA.
The winner of the match, scheduled for 2:45 PM IST (6:15 PM local time), will be assured a medal in the quadrennial showpiece.
Ravi Kumar’s Road to semifinal
Ravi Kumar beat Oscar Eduardo Tigreros Urbano of Colombia (13-2) in the 1/8 final and Bulgaria’s Georgi Valentinov (14-4).
Sanayev downed Diamantino Iuna Fafe 7-0 and Yuki Takahashi 4-4.
World No. 2 Deepak Punia | takes on David Morris Taylor III of the United States of America in the 86kg category semifinal at Tokyo 2020. The match is scheduled to begin later on Wednesday and will assure the winner a medal in the quadrennial showpiece.
Deepak Punia’s Road to semifinal
Deepak beat Nigeria’s Ekerekeme Agiomor (12-1) and China’s Lin Zushen (6-3).
David downed Ali Shabanau of Belarus and San Marino’s Myles Nazem Amine.